COL MILLS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
This memorial scholarship is made available specifically to LG Professionals, NSW Next Gen members in an effort to support them as they develop and grow in their career in local government. The Col Mills scholarship was formed in 1999, in memory of active member Col Mills, who was a strong advocate of creating opportunities for members to advance their professional careers.
Each year Next Gen Members are invited to apply for the Col Mills Memorial Scholarship by submitting an application outlining:
- Professional Development: what they have done in the past three years to develop themselves professionally and, where appropriate, others.
- Leadership: how they have led a team, function, or project. What barriers they faced and how they overcame these barriers.
- Relationships: how they have managed up or navigated relationships to contribute to an outcome.
In addition, they provided a reference from a supervisor, manager or General Manager.
The judging panel looked for:
- The significance of their achievements or contributions to the community
- The significance of their achievements or contributions to their team or council
- How their leadership skills or contributions exceeded expectations
Four scholarships were awarded in 2021 to:
- Anna McHattan, Business Support Officer, Bogan Shire Council
- Erin Hogan, Environmental Health Officer, City of Canterbury-Bankstown Council
- Helena Smith, Senior Rates and Water Officer, Snowy Valleys Council
- Zoe Saunders, Community Relations Manager, Narrabri Shire Council
Each scholarship recipient received:
- Registration to attend LGC21
- Two nights accommodation at The Fullerton Hotel
- Registration to attend the LG Awards Dinner